Winter is a time for parties, celebrations, and family dinners. It is the season that brings a lot of joy, but also the season when you need to especially take care of your health. Since some health problems are common during winter, being prepared and knowing your health care options will help you and your family stay safe and healthy this winter.
Follow these tips to stay safe and healthy in winter:
1. Prepare Your Home
Consider these tips to keep your home warm and safe during winter:
- Repair roof leaks and clean your gutters
- Install weather stripping, storm windows, and insulation
- Make sure water lines that run along exterior walls are insulated
Check Your Heating Systems
- Inspect and clean chimneys and fireplaces
- Install a working smoke detector. Test its batteries every month and replace them twice a year
- Make sure your heating system is clean, working properly, and ventilated
- Install a carbon monoxide detector to prevent CO emergencies
- Have an alternate heating source and fuels
2. Prepare Your Car
Get your car ready for winter travel with these tips:
- Check tires and replace them with snow or all-weather tires if necessary
- Use a wintertime formula on your windshield
- Service the radiator and maintain antifreeze level
- Keep your gas tank full to prevent ice in the fuel lines and tank
- Keep a winter emergency kit that includes the following: plastic bags, cell phone, extra batteries, portable charger, first-aid kit, blankets, compass, map, food, water, tire pump, traction bag, and a flashlight.
3. Be Prepared for Emergencies
Follow these tips to be prepared for weather-related emergencies including power outages:
- Be aware of current and forecast weather conditions while planning travel
- Store water in clean containers and pack non-perishable foods
- Keep an emergency kit that includes cat litter, flashlight, a National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) Weather Radio, baby items, extra medicines, and batteries
- Keep your cell phone fully charged
4. Take These Precautions Outdoors
Consider these tips to prepare you and your family for outdoor winter activities:
- Scatter sand or cat litter on icy patches
- Wear clothes that can keep you warm and protected
- Work slowly when engaged in outdoor tasks
- Carry a cell phone and emergency kit when you take part in outdoor activities
5. Practice Meditation and Relaxation
You can get rid of some stress and anxiety by practicing meditation and relaxation. Try taking a walk or doing deep breathing and relaxation exercises when you feel stressed.
6. Do This When You Plan to Travel
Following these tips will help you plan a safe winter trip:
- Do not travel when the weather service has issued advisories
- If you cannot avoid your trip, keep your friend or relative informed about your proposed route and expected time of arrival
Follow these tips when you become stranded in your car:
- Turn on your headlights and make your car visible to rescuers.
- Keep your body warm by wearing extra clothing or wrapping up with blankets
- Move the things you need from the trunk into the passenger area.
- When you sit, keep moving your legs and arms to improve blood circulation and stay warmer
- Run the motor every 10 minutes per hour. Open the window to let in air. Make sure that snow is not blocked the exhaust pipe
Planning for a Healthy, Safe, and Fit Winter
Assessing your health and well-being during the winter months will help you take the necessary actions and stay safe. Also, follow the above-mentioned tips to enjoy a worry-free winter.